Creamy Smothered Chicken Casserole
I’ve tried this recipe with all the listed kinds of pasta, and my favorite is the penne pasta. This chicken casserole is not only easy to make, but it works with just about any style of pasta you want to use. You can mix it up and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days before baking.
- 4 Bonless /skinlesschicken thighs or breasts
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 tsp Garlic salt
- 1 tsp Ground black pepper
- 6 oz Uncooked penne or fettuccini pasta
- 1 can Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup 10-3/4 oz can
- 1 1/4 cups Half and half
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground black pepper
- 2 cups Frozen chopped broccali
- 3 slices Cooked bacon, crumbled optional
- 1/2 cup Freshly grated Parmesean Cheese optional
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray a 2 ½ – quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with garlic salt and black pepper and add to hot oil. Cook chicken for 5 minutes or until golden brown and turn. Cook an additional 5 minutes or until juices run clear and the thickest part of thighs reads 165°F on a meat thermometer. Remove skillet from heat and set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions and drain. Do not cool pasta.* While pasta is cooking, mix together in a large bowl until well blended, soup, half-and-half, paprika, and salt and pepper to taste. Reserve ¾ cup of sauce mixture and set aside. Add hot pasta and frozen broccoli to the sauce and mix well.
- Pour pasta mixture into prepared casserole dish and top with chicken thighs. Spread reserved sauce over chicken and top with bacon and parmesan cheese.
- Cover the casserole dish with a fitted lid or aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover the casserole and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese is lightly browned.